Samuel Slade was born in Virginia.2,3 He was the son of unidentified yDNA male1 Slade. History of Jackson Co, Indiana indicates that Samuel Slade of Virginia settled in Jackson Co prior to the War of 1812. The same book indicates that his daughter, Mary A Slade Sewell, b 1804 VA, came to Jackson Co with her family when she was 6 years old . The 1820 census of Jackson Co, Indiana shows a household of Samuel Slade, the oldest males age is 45 & over, indicating he was born 1775 or before. The next oldest male age was 16-25, indicating born 1795-1804, likely was son Wm R Slade. The 1830 census of Driftwood Twp, Jackson Co lists household of Samuel Slade, the oldest male age 70-79, indicating he was born 1760 to 1751. This poses a quandry as to the actual birth year of this Samuel Slade. yDNA37 tests for a proven descendant of this Samuel indicates that he shares a common ancestor with the Slade branch from York & Southampton County, Virginia.2,3,4
Children of Samuel Slade
- [S1086] Research by Thelma Corry, , July 13, 2006, from Aunt Mae's bible.
- [S1153] 1820 US Census of Jackson County, Indiana, Ancestry.com Jackson Co, img 16/17.
- [S1154] 1830 US Census of Jackson County, Indiana, Driftwood Twp, Ancestry.com img 3/8.
- [S1164] History of Jackson County, Indiana Chicago: Brant & Fuller, 1886), p 315, Early Indian Reminiscences; pg 671, bio: Moses N Sewell.
- [S1087] 1850 US Census of Jackson County, Indiana.
- [S1098] Indiana State Library Marriage Records,, Randolph N Slade & Elizabeth W Speaks, Feb 21, 1838, Jackson Co.
- [S96] Obituary, Mary Ann "Granny" Sewell, published July 11, 1889 in Jackson County Banner (IN).