George William Slade
b. 23 January 1912, d. 9 September 1993
George William Slade was born on January 23, 1912 in Chelsea, Suffolk County, Massachusetts.1,2 He was the son of Arthur Clarence Slade and Susanne D. Hooper. He married Elizabeth M. Banks.3,4 George earned a bachelor's degree in journalism and a master's degree in education from Boston University and did graduate work at Harvard University.3 During World War II, he served in a Coast Guard Reserve unit that watched over the port of Boston.3 He taught at Boston University, served as city editor of the Chelsea Evening Record, did free-lance writing for newspapers in Boston before moving to Baltimore in 1950s. He jointed the University of Baltimore Faculty and taught journalism, communications and business management courses until his retirement in 1981.3 He died on September 9, 1993 in Catonsville, Baltimore County, Maryland, at age 81.3
Child of George William Slade
- George William Slade Jr.
- [S48] James Daniel Slade, James Daniel Slade.
- [S106] Massachusetts Births 1841-1915 at FamilySearch.org, 1912 Chelsea. pg 23 , #993, George William Slade, b Jan 23, 1912, s/o Arthur C & Susan Hooper Slade.
- [S74] Obituary, George W Slade, published in The Sun (Baltimore, MD) - Thursday, September 9, 1993.
- [S183] 1940 US Census of Suffolk County, Massachusetts, ED 13-49, sh 6-B, lines 79-80, fam 126.
- [S93] 1920 US Census of Suffolk County, Massachucetts, ED 644, sh 5-A, lines 46-50, dwl 55, fam 84.
- [S91] 1930 US Census of Suffolk County, Massachucetts, ED 13-545, sh 3-B, lines 73-76, dwl 66, fam 66.